Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Tips for Packing: 1 more week!

The countdown is getting real! I report in just one more week!
After shopping and preparing to leave, I've learned a lot about where to buy stuff and what is best to get. I know I'll be much more knowledgable when I have actually lived in Tahiti and have experienced everything, but I thought I would share anyways for any other sister missionaries going tropical :)

If you have to get the Typhoid vaccine, do NOT get it orally. I called around to the travel clinics, but I couldn't find any with the Typhoid shots in stock. I saw that Walgreens had travel vaccines so I gave them and call and found out they had the oral Typhoid vaccine. It turns out you have to get a prescription, take a pill every other day for 4 doses, take it on an empty stomach, and then swallow with a glass of lukewarm water. SUCH A HASSLE. I'm too forgetful and busy for this stuff! If you can help it, GET THE SHOT.
These were the hardest to find. I wanted some light, comfortable skirts and dresses so this was really hard because I had to be picky with the fabric and length. I hit the jackpot at Asos.com. LOVE that website! Some of the skirts were a little pricey for me, it was worth it. Forever 21 is great too for random great finds. Everyone is different though, so all I can say for finding dresses and skirts is good luck!
I surprised myself and found all of my shoes at Famous Footwear minus my Keens. In Tahiti, missionaries can wear open toed sandals so I got two pairs of sandals, some crocs for when it rains (not the cutest, but practical and comfy!), and then some neutral flats for the MTC. I got the flip flops as a gift for shower shoes and then bought my Keens on Amazon. I LOVE MY KEENS. I totally recommend these shoes for anywhere you serve. They are also referred to as fisherwoman shoes (my best friend Jordan is rocking a fisherwoman shoe tan in France right now). They're a little pricey but SO worth it. They will be great for the MTC and for in Tahiti. 
I love these towels! I've been highly encouraged to get these because they are very absorbent and light. You can find them  here. They're on sale right now! 
I love pictures! I am so excited to fill these as I serve. If I'm not able to print pictures myself, I'll just get my parents to print all the pictures I send home. This is also a great thing to send missionaries too! I just sent some to my missionary who's about to leave the MTC. 
To hopefully combat the inevitable weight gain. I've heard great things about bringing a jump rope and a resistance band is great for working out in your apartment. 
I love baby oil! It's great to apply after showering for dry and sunburned skin. I discovered it this past year while living in Utah. It's a lifesaver, I totally recommend it! 
This pretty much only works for all my Texans out there because there are only HEBs in Texas. They were only $1 and are MAGICAL. They stay on your heel and are super light. I bought like 20. 
These are great! I'm so glad I thought about this. I found these at the dollar spot at Target and they're perfect size for letters. I've already started using it for letters I've gotten from my missionary friends. I'm bringing two though because I'm not sure if one will last me all 18 months. This is great to send to missionaries as well (I sent two to mine in my last package).
Best of luck to all those brave souls still mission shopping- it's hard stuff! Elders have it so easy.






3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the accordion folder tip for letters! Definitely doing that. And good luck in Tahiti!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great tips! I just helped a sister missionary remix her wardrobe to maximize the combinations! shared how we got at least 6 outifts from 1 dress on my site this week! :) http://www.pinterest.com/pin/12807180164033457/

    ReplyDelete
  3. agreed; the accordion folder is genius.
    astorybysydni.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete